National Programme for the Development of Humanities 2012.
I. The aim of the project is:
- to show the social function of various offices and their role in society management as well as their function in the spread and application of the theory of development;
- to indicate factors influencing views, attitudes and behaviours of professionals;
- to compile an inventory of offices, officials, official titles and grades in the Kingdom of Poland;
- to create a register of and describe the powers of officials in the Kingdom of Poland;
- to integrate and provide a synthesis of previous studies concerning officials, offices, official positions and titles in the Kingdom of Poland;
- to deepen reflection on the relations between various social structures and structures of authority in the 19th century, structures of management and managerial personnel.
II. Stages of the project:
- The first stage will consist in making a record of officials, offices, official grades and titles on the basis of published collections of laws, registers of officials, 19th century dictionaries.
- Information thus collected will be entered in three databases: A. Officials of the Kingdom of Poland (1815-1914), B. Offices of the Kingdom of Poland (1815-1914), C. Official grades and titles (1815-1915). The databases will be structured in accordance with the following formula: A. Surname, first name/names. Pseudonyms, code names. Date of birth. Place of birth. Date of death. Parents and family – names of parents, family name of the mother, siblings. Education – dates of graduation, completion of a course etc. Professional experience. Dates of employment, achievement of official titles and grades in various offices. Positions held (dates). Functions performed in various positions. Community activity – various forms of activity, including political activity, economic activity etc. Legacy in office. Other legacy – as writer, scholar etc. Place of burial. Iconography. Bibliography. B. Name of office / changes of name. Legal documents regulating the work of the office. Place in the hierarchy of offices. Powers and their evolution. Organisational structure and its changes. Managerial positions. Budget and its changes. Number of posts and its changes. Historical role of the office. Iconography. Bibliography. C. Name of title / position. Legal documents. Functions performed by holder. Role of the position and title within the institution. Social function of the position and title. Iconography. 3. The next stage will consist of archive and library research the objective of which will be to prepare biographical notes of officials as well as notes describing the various offices, positions, official grades and titles. The archive and library research will be carried out in Poland and abroad. The research will cover published collections of laws, lists of officials, the press, journalistic and political writing, and literature.
- The data gathered in this research will be entered in the databases. They will become the basis for dictionaries of offices, officials, positions, official grades and titles.
- The results of the research will be presented during a conference.
- The work will end with the publication of dictionaries and databases on-line.