B. 1951; MA 1973, University of Warsaw; PhD 1981, post-doctoral degree (habilitacja) 1989 (also UW). Worked at the Institute of History, University of Warsaw, as intern and doctoral student in 1973-1979. Assistant lecturer, senior assistant lecturer and assistant professor at the History of Art Division, Catholic University of Lublin 1982-1992; since 1988 at the Institute of History, University of Warsaw. University of Warsaw professor since 1996, titular professor since 2011.